Calls for Entry
Submit your work for our upcoming juried exhibitions, which showcase the best of international, national, and local ceramic artists working in ceramic sculpture, pottery, installation and conceptual ceramics.
January 9 - February 28, 2021
Juried By Jen Allen
A Word from our Juror:
Tea is a daily part of my family life and we have a small collection of teapots that are used often.
I relish in the focus needed to make a utilitarian teapot. Aside from aesthetics and creativity, one must consider weight, volume, the angle and taper of the spout, the fit of the lid, the comfort/placement/type of the handle, the feel of the knob the size of the holes to strain/infuse the tea or space for a separate infuser, the smoothness of the foot. The process of fashioning a teapot out of clay takes patience, perseverance and contemplation.
Teapots are composite pieces, consisting of disparate parts that must come together in harmony AND be able to function properly.
As a juror, my job of judging forms through the distortion of photographic images is a huge challenge. I look for works that give me pause. I look for works that spark my curiosity; works I need to experience in person.
- October 1st, 2020: Online Application Deadline
- November 9th, 2020: Notification on Website
- December 21st, 2020: Work due at Gallery
- January 9th, 2021, 6-8: Opening Reception
- February 28th, 2021: Exhibition Closes
- Exhibition Requirements and Application Process
- Teapots IX will be hosted by Baltimore Clayworks and held in our Main Exhibition Gallery from January 9-February 28, 2021.
- The public opening reception will be Saturday, January 9, 2021 from 6:00-8:00 pm.
- Work must remain in our gallery for the duration of the show.
- Accepted artists are responsible for shipping arrangement and costs of their work to Baltimore Clayworks’ Gallery.
- Baltimore Clayworks receives 50% of the retail price of each artwork sold, the artist receives 50%.
- Teapots IX is open to ceramic artists who reside in the United States.
- Work must have been completed in the past two years.
- Clay must be the primary material.
- All works must be for sale.
- Notification of accepted artists will be posted on our website by November 9th, 2020.
- Additional paperwork will be sent to accepted artists after notification.
- Artists must email the following materials to email@example.com with the subject line "Teapots IX application."
- Artists must then pay the $30 application fee by visiting this link. Applicants who do not pay their application fee will not be included in the jurying process.
- All applications must be received by October 1st, 2020.
- Application materials include:
- Artist information including: Name, Address (street, city, state, zip), Phone number, Email address, and Website.
- 5 images maximum(including details) of work available for the exhibition.
- Each image must be a JPEG (.jpg) file of at least 72dpi at 5x7 inches. If selected, higher resolution images may be requested for press and promotion.
- Each image file name must be labeled with the artist’s three initials in this order: Last, First, Middle (use “X” if no middle initial) and the corresponding number from the Image information page. For example - Arthur Clay Potter would be “pac_1.jpg”.
- An image list including: File name, Title, Year work was created, Dimensions, Materials, and Retail Price.