Baltimore Clayworks is a community-centered ceramics institution in the Mt. Washington neighborhood of Baltimore, Maryland. Our organization was founded by nine artists in 1980 and in 1984 received its nonprofit 501(c)3 status. We are known for our attentiveness to our city, and possess a national and international reputation for artistic excellence, artists’ support, and community involvement.
The mission of Baltimore Clayworks is to develop, sustain, and promote an artist-centered community that provides outstanding educational, artistic, and collaborative programs in the ceramic arts. Its core values are artist-centeredness, excellence, inclusivity, integrity, and joy.
What We Do
- Provide affordable studio space, equipment, and professional opportunities that encourage participation by national and international ceramic artists who produce ceramic artworks of the highest quality.
- Brings stellar emerging and established artists to Baltimore through our residency and exhibitions programs.
- Offer hands-on studio and community classes in all aspects of pottery, clay sculpture, and ceramic processes for children and adults. Clayworks' educational programs are led by artists who are both locally treasured and retain high national profiles in the field of ceramics.
- Present on-site, off-site, and online exhibitions and sale of the work of local, national and international ceramic artists, in solo and group format, curated or juried by professional artists in the field. Our exhibitions showcase the best of international, national and local ceramic artists working in sculpture, pottery, installation and conceptual ceramics.
- Develop sensitively conceived and collaboratively designed programs with artists and community organizations that bring art experiences of authenticity, excellence, and meaning into the lives of children and adults who do not usually have such access.
Our Core Values
- Baltimore Clayworks is Artist – Centered, committed to the principle that making and appreciating art are essential to the nourishment of the human spirit.
- Baltimore Clayworks is Inclusive, bringing a lens of equity in race, disability, and gender to all decisions as we deliver programs to both new learners and professional artists, students, and collectors and artists and collectors from diverse economic, cultural, ethnic, and geographic backgrounds.
- We strive for increasing levels of Excellence in our art and in our management. It supports growth and gives us credibility among experts and peers.
- Baltimore Clayworks programs and management decisions are planned and executed with Integrity.
- Joy is pervasive in the Clayworks workplace – classrooms, studios, community facilities, offices and even the Boardroom. This is expressed through the joy of accomplishment, of working in environments of trust and excellence, and of being inclusive and transparent.