Meet the Artists
About the Lormina Salter Fellowship
Realizing the need to enrich the existing collective studio with creative, energetic and artistically diverse ceramists, Baltimore Clayworks is offering a one-year residency fellowship as a memorial to one of our founders, Lormina Salter. "Nina," as she was fondly known to us, was a gifted teacher and respected artist who handbuilt large stoneware vessels and sculpture. Her initiative, energy and insistence on artistic excellence were instrumental in setting direction for Clayworks in its critical early years.
The residency fellowship runs from September 1st to August 31st of the following year. Applications will be juried by select artists in residence, the Residency Program Coordinator, the Executive Director and an outside curator or artist.
Former and current affiliates of Baltimore Clayworks are not eligible.
The Residency Fellowship Includes
- Individual production area (approximately 120 square feet)
- $100 monthly materials and firing stipend
- A solo exhibition in our main gallery at the end of the residency
- Common area (2000 square feet) including storage Consignment
- Gallery (60/40 –2002 gross sales - $65,758)
- Kilns: 60 cu ft and 45 cu ft downdraft natural gas kilns, 30 cu ft propane kiln, raku propane kiln, a newly constructed two-chamber climbing type woodkiln, 8 electric kilns, electric test kiln
- Equipment: 2 slab rollers, Alpine spray booth with 1 hp compressor, ball mill, extruder
- Teaching opportunities, both onsite and through our Community Arts program, networking with Artists-In-Schools
Residency Fellowship Requirements
- At least 24 hours weekly on the premises (doing your own work)
- Up to 10 hours annually of community outreach (slide lectures or demonstrations)
- Participation in the collective life of the studio Willingness to abide by environmental concerns
- Solo exhibition
- Residence established in Baltimore
Download an application and mail it to
Lormina Salter Fellowship
5707 Smith Ave
Baltimore, MD 21209
For questions, please contact Jim Dugan at 410 578-4408 or email email@example.com.
For consideration all applications MUST include the following:
- Completed application A list of 3 references and their affiliations with phone numbers (letters of recommendation are not necessary)
- Artist's Statement
- 10 jpg images (300 dpi, exactly 1200 x 900 pixels) on a CD readable by Macintosh and PC computers
- Image info sheet, including title, date, materials, and processes